Violation of a Protection Order in Colorado

If you violate any of the terms of your mandatory protection order CRS 18-1-1001, (sometimes referred to as criminal protection order) then law enforcement will usually charge you with the crime of violation of protection order in Colorado. This crime is usually referred to as a violation of restraining order or restraining order violation in Colorado.

They all sound the same, but they are not all the same. A restraining order violation is actually violation of a civil restraining order, while violation of protection order is actually violation of a criminal protection order. It may not seem like a big deal, and frankly most Denver criminal lawyers have no clue what the difference is, but they are meaningful, especially to our clients who have to pay the penalties and serve the sentences for these crimes.

Get the Right Lawyers in Your Corner

Make sure the criminal lawyer you are thinking of hiring for your case is knowledgeable and experienced in these areas. Too often, we see criminal defense lawyers in Jefferson County, Douglas, or Arapahoe counties who have no idea how to advise their clients. That is not a good thing, as their clients will find out shortly.

At Shazam Kianpour & Associates, we make a practice out of perfecting our legal knowledge. We strive to be up to date on all aspects of criminal law that pertain to your case so we can make sure we give you the most relevant and accurate legal advice. Our team of Denver protection order defense attorneys has litigated these cases, taken them to trial, and also settled them whenever necessary.

Our clients generally find that we come at the cases from a position of experience and understanding. Violation of a criminal protection order is a class 1 misdemeanor in Colorado (M1). It carries up to 18 months in county jail and up to a $5,000 fine for each single charge. Often if you are found guilty of this crime, the court will extend the protection order for at least another year, sometimes for the entire duration of probation, even if that's several more years.

Do Not Wait. The Lawyers of Shazam Kianpour & Associates, P.C., Can Help.

Can you afford to have your protection order extended several more years? Can you afford to serve more time in jail? It's a good time for a phone call.

Call and chat with us today at 303-578-4036. We are the beginning of the solution for your case.